Monday, December 18, 2006

Just a Little of the Top...



I was scrubbing the family room floor the other day, the same day, actually, that we'd put up our Christmas tree....when suddenly I heard a 'snip, snip, snip' coming from the other room...never a good sign. I quickly called to the kids, "Who is using the scissors?? What are you cutting??" Gabby, the informant, came to me, "We're just trimming the tree a little bit to make it pretty..." Apparently, Nick was watching me with his eagle eyes while I trimmed a few bulky spots on the tree earlier, and he had decided to do a little trimming of his own. Of course, he got his little accomplice involved for good measure. I rushed to the tree, thinking I'd find just a few little bits cut from it. Turns out, they'd been at it for a while and I just hadn't heard them over the noise of my scrub brush on the floor. I swept up a huge pile of pine snippets...three dust pans worth. Our poor tree now has a blunt, squared-off look that Chad has assured me I only see because I know. Nick, as usual, had little to say for himself. Gabby insisted that not only was it Nick's fault for 'making her do it' but she was only 'making it more pretty!'. As I swept up the mess I found myself wondering why they were using my scissors instead of their small children's scissors. Just then, I caught a glimpse of an odd ornament hanging from the tree. Closer inspection revealed not an ornament, but a pair of small kid scissors jammed on a tree branch, and hanging like a reject ornament at the back of the tree. As I leaned in to remove the blue plastic handled scissors, another oddity caught my eye. Scotch tape. Apparently once he'd trimmed a bit too much, Nick had decided to re-attach a few of the branches. I'm still finding bunches of evergreen scotch taped to our tree. Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree....how chopped up are your branches.

No comments: