Thursday, September 6, 2007

Nick's Room

I've been trying to get the kids rooms decorated for some time now. They are finally starting to come together. Of course, neither of them have bedding to match yet. I think most people probably START with the bedding and go from there...I did the opposite, of course. I think I'm the kind of person who buys earrings and then an outfit to match. So, here are a few pictures of Nick's room so far. I painted one wall orange, one wall green, the small wall brown and the window wall and the slanted ceiling blue. Nick and I chose the colors together. It's really a neat color combination. I painted his dressers the same white/off white as all the trim in our house and then painted one drawer on each dresser to match one wall. I bought the dressers at an auction when Nick and Gabby were quite small...for their nursery. I also painted an unfinished cubby/bench/shelf from Joanns Fabric to match the room...we found some cool matching tubs at Walmart to put in some of the cubbies. Then, Nick and I were shopping at Value Village one day and found the perfect chair for the corner of his room. I painted an old book holder to match the room and it goes nicely next to the chair. I bought this bookholder years ago at an Estate sale. I also painted an old nightstand to match the room. I've had this night stand for years...and it's been many colors.


There are no pictures that show his bed because we haven't finished it yet. I have an old metal bed I found in a 'free' pile at the curb one day...I tried to sandblast it myself but oh boy...that's just one of those jobs you should leave to the professionals....so it's going to the shop one of these days. I want to have the paint sandblasted off down to the metal and then I'm going to seal it so it will just be metal color. I bought some neat vintage car ads on Ebay and framed them to hang on his green wall, above the dressers. I haven't photographed them yet. We're also thinking of putting a piece of plywood over his dressers to create a work table for him. There's a neat stool at Ikea that would be neat for seating at the work table.


Anyway, here are the pics of his room...so far.


His cubby/shelf and rug...I'm going to make a cushion for the top of the cubby (out of the quilt folded on it now)

One of his dressers ...

Another view of the dressers...with Grandpa Barney's radio. He listens to Grandpa's tape of the Loons every night before bed. When we stayed in the cabin at Twin Lakes he woke up one morning and was just relaxing when he looked at me and said "mom! I just heard a bird like the one on my radio!" He did too!


Bingo likes the thrifted chair too!

The book holder I painted...

And here is his night stand. I bought the lamp for $4 at Value Village. The wooden turtle belonged to Grandpa Barney...the other turtle is a garage sale find. Nick loves turtles!


I'll post Gabby's room when it's more finished. Grandma Elaine made drapes for it the other day and today she's working on the skirt for Gabby's vintage vanity table!

1 comment:

Katie said...

You did such a great job! I love those colors; it makes me want to go paint something!